Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Meatballs and Cheese Bread

How is everyone?  I hope you are all doing well!   My sweet friend, Colleen just plugged my blog on her facebook and it was a reminder that I need to go hide in my room and get a post up!  I've got so much going on and so much to share!  I love when people tell me they've missed me and want me to post more.  Colleen tells me when she tries new recipes and I love that someone is trying them out.  Like I said at the beginning, I'm no professional, but hopefully I'll give you a few laughs and share a recipe you would might want to try yourself.  :)  By the way, Colleen is one of those friends I'll always share a bond with.  I worked with her at Vanderbilt Children's hospital at the Patient Representative Reception of the Acute Care Center.  I would imagine it being the same kind of bond that soldiers have when fighting in the trenches.  We saw some ugly days and dealt with some characters!

I hope that doesn't offend any soldiers.  NOTHING I do compares to the hard work and sacrifice you give our country and I appreciate that. 

So moving on...We carved a pumpkin.  It's the first time we have done it with the kids.  Last year we didn't carve one and I don't know why.  The year before that, we had just had Emilie and we didn't carve one then.  The girls had a blast doing it.  Aubrie reached in and grabbed the goop but Emilie didn't care for it. 



Loving our new jack-o-lantern!

When we went out to the front porch, I got this awesome shot of the full moon and the street lamp lighting up the gorgeous yellow leaves.  I also said a little prayer for all of my teacher friends because a full moon and Halloween is a recipe for a chaotic week at school!
I tried a new recipe last week and we absolutely loved it.  It made of think of beef stroganoff, but we think this is better because the meatballs are so moist and it is so tasty!  I highly recommend this recipe.  Kids always like noodles and the meat is so tasty.  It's a win win!  I paired it with some yummy cheesy bread that you'll find below this recipe. 

Skillet Meatballs in Creamy Herb Sauce
from Gonna Want Seconds Blog
  • 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
  • 1 (5.2-ounce) package Boursin cheese with garlic and herbs, crumbled
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped fine
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 8 ounces egg noodles
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
Instructions
  1. Combine beef, 5 tablespoons Boursin cheese, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in medium bowl and knead gently until combined. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook meatballs until well browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer meatballs to plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
  2. Cook onion in reserved fat until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add broth, noodles, and wine and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until pasta begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add meatballs and simmer, covered, until meatballs are cooked through and noodles are al dente, about 4 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining Boursin cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Cheesy Stuffed Bread
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
  • slices of mozzarella
  • loaf of bread (I used a french loaf, but I'd like to try it on sourdough!)

  • Take your loaf of bread and slice it all the way to the bottom, but not all the way through.  Mix the olive oil, oregano, pepper, red pepper, and garlic together and brush it on top and in between all the slices.  You can buy already sliced mozzarella or the ball of cheese and cut it up.  Stuff one slice between each slit.  Stick it in a hot oven until completely melted.  Enjoy!!

    Last weekend we raked leaves and bagged them.  That is one thing we absolutely LOVE about our house.  We only have one tree to worry about the leaves.  At our old house, raking leaves was a dreadful chore that took multiple weekends. 
    Kyle's first swing ride in the backyard

    Raking leaves was a team event.  We BELIEVE in child labor. :)

    Emilie was actually REALLY helpful.  She got right in there and scooped leaves into the bag.  Aubrie was not helpful at all.  She was too worried about what shoes to wear and was going in and out of the house changing shoes.  Drama. 

    After sweeping the sidewalk and drive, we had a parade.  Of course.
    I think I mentioned in my previous blog that Kyle had an earache and couldn't get his shots last time we were in the doctor's office.  So when we went in for Emilie's 2 year check-up, all three kids were getting shots.  Aubrie just needed a flu shot, Emilie needed a flu shot and immunizations, and Kyle needed immunizations.  So I packed my bag with juice boxes, twizzlers, and Tylenol.  The kids never get juice boxes and Aubrie will do ANYTHING for one. 

    I told the nurse to go ahead and do Aubrie's first, but I knew my little drama queen would scream so I asked to do it in another room.  She and I went in the other room and I gave her the juice box.  Well, she knew something was up.  Good ol' mom doesn't just pass out juice boxes.  The nurse came in with her needle and Aubrie immediately lost it.  We had to restrain her and she got her shot.  The poor girl came up lame.  She had to drag that leg behind her when she left the room to return to her siblings.  But she sucked down that juice box!

    Emilie was next.  They laid her down and I didn't give her a juice box yet.  I just leaned over her tummy and talked to her and held her arms while the nurse gave her two shots.  She winced and said, "Aaaaa!"  and that was it.  No tears.  She didn't come up lame.  She got a juice box.

    Finally it was Kyle's turn.  My little crocodile does not take a pacifier and that hurts the cause.  He had to get five shots and he cried, held his breath for what seemed like eternity, and then cried out one more time and was fine.  He does this pouty lip quiver that melts your heart.  So the child that got one little shot reacted the worst.  All in all, it wasn't a bad experience.  We survived and met up with family to eat and have an ice cream cone.

    Let's see, what's next?  Happy Halloween!  I had a blast checking in on my facebook and seeing everyone's costumes!  My favorite might have to be the Mitchell twin girls.  One was an elf and the other was a reindeer.  They were so creative and cute.  My girls are really into princesses.  Aubrie chose to be Ariel and Emilie chose Snow White.  Kyle was the color orange.  :)

    Kyle didn't care too much about the trick or treating.  Adam ended up holding him the whole time.  Aubrie and Emilie had a blast.  When people would let the girls pick out their own candy, Emilie would grab handfuls and I would have to race over to the door and take scoops of candy out of her bucket and put it back.  Aubrie tried to chat everybody up and fished for compliments on how pretty she looked.  Emilie would just talk loud.  I asked the doctor if she was maybe hard of hearing or was she just really enthusiastic.  He said it was normal.  The girl was loud.  THANK YOU!  I'M SNOW WHITE!  TRICKER CHEAT!!!!

    Tia joined us for the festivities.
    We had a blast and it seems like time is just flying right now. I can't believe I'm leaving for Texas in a week for Thanksgiving!  It might be one of those years that the Christmas decorations don't get out in time and I'm scrambling the whole holiday season.  As Mrs. Griswald said, "It's the holidays, we're all miserable."  Great movie.  

    Love to all! 
    Pin It Now!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment