Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Eye contact

There are moments in your life when you make eye contact with someone and it is so meaningful. We all avoid people by avoiding eye contact.  You make your child look you in the eyes when you are lecturing them so you know they hear you and understand.   But there is a lot you can tell about a person when you look at them in the eyes.  You can see if they are happy, sad, in pain, tired, or nervous. 

Life is full of eye contact.

There is the first time you looked into your parent's eyes as a newborn. The first time you looked into your teacher's eyes when you were getting lectured.  There's the first time you looked in a friend's eyes and felt their pain.  There's the eye contact with your mom and dad as you say goodbye when you leave for college.  There's the time you looked into your best friend's eyes and knew they were the one and later, on your wedding day you look into their eyes and see a whole new chapter of life beginning.

But today I'm reminded of 3 powerful moments of making eye contact with someone.  These were meaningful times that flooded my heart with joy.  I still feel the emotions when I think back to these times and how joyful and life changing they were.   

It's making eye contact with my children for the first time.  They come out screaming, with their eyes clinched shut from the bright light all around them.  They cry, get weighed, measured, and poked.  Then they get wrapped in a warm blanket and get set on their warm mother's chests and they slowly open their eyes. 

Aubrie's first eye contact was with her father. I had a horrible recovery from my c-section and don't remember much from that first night.
 
Emilie's first eye contact was with me.  Great birth experience and I got to hold her and not let go of her for a long time.
 
 
Kyle's first eye contact was with his dad as they wheeled him down to the NICU. I later got to make eye contact with him that night when they finally brought him to my room. 
Our friends, Dan and Jenny, just had a baby boy today and the picture they sent out of him, his eyes are wide open.  Ready to make eye contact with mom and dad.  He wanted to know who those familiar voices were that have been talking to him all this time.  What a precious moment. 

It sent me back to those 3 precious moments of my own eye contact with my babies.  What a sweet gift they are and I'm so lucky to experience it.

One last thought.  I can't imagine what thoughts raced through Mary and Joseph's mind as baby Jesus first opened up his eyes and made eye contact with them.  I think of the song, Joseph's Lullaby by MercyMe.

Go to sleep my Son
This manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head

Can You feel the weight of Your glory?
Do You understand the price?
Or does the Father guard Your heart for now
So You can sleep tonight?

Go to sleep my Son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace

I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
Lord, I ask that He for just this moment
Simply be my child

Go to sleep my Son
Baby, close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear Child of mine
Oh my Jesus, Sleep tight
 
I bet it was hard to fully comprehend all that that little boy will soon accomplish with his time on this earth.  What a moment. 

 We have officially recovered from our trip to Texas.  Sweet baby Kyle is maxing out his 9 month clothing (he's only 15 weeks).  I took this picture of our big boy in his swing.  I had to change the batteries in it because it takes a lot of power to move his rear back and forth!
 We raked leaves one last time with the girls.  It was in the 70s this weekend.  They had a lot of fun outside and I put some lights up on our front bushes.  We also have our tree up.  Adam and I decorate it while the kids are asleep so they don't see that the ornaments are movable.  They always do pretty good, but day 2, I came downstairs from putting Kyle down for a nap and both girls were trying to pick up pieces of an ornament.  Of course, Aubrie quickly tattled that it was Emilie and they both got a lecture.  We've been in the clear ever since. 

Our other friends, Jese and Casey, are actually at the hospital tonight as well, getting ready to have their little boy.  How cool it would be if they had him tonight and they shared birth dates with baby Hayden.  I'm sure Casey could care less, because she probably just wants the labor to be over soon.  :)  Lots of excitement for us.  Hope everyone is doing well and taking time out to enjoy this time of year. 

Lots of love! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment