Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

LadyBug Incident of 2014

Nothing gets you geared up for the day better than a major family crisis FIRST THING in the morning.  I stepped out of the shower and Aubrie had come down stairs to talk to me.  She does this every morning.  It's usually to tattle on Adam, argue about the outfit I laid out for her, or give me some outrageous request (can we have donuts and chocolate milk for breakfast?)

This morning she greets me with a ladybug.  And it isn't a pretty ladybug.  It's crunchy and brown.  I asked her where she got it and she said matter of factly, "Silly mommy.  I TOLD YOU, it was in my nightstand."  

Friends, there was this one nice day last month that Aubrie was outside finding lady bugs and putting them in this old Christmas cookie tin and carrying them around.  She filled it with rocks and grass and flipped out when Kyle dumped it all out and she had to save them.  Well, in true Aubrie fashion, she most likely trafficked one of those ladybugs into her room and put it in her nightstand for safe keeping.

This ladybug was DEAD.  Crunchy dead.  

NEWSFLASH:  THE LADYBUG WAS NOT IN THE NIGHTSTAND.  I REPEAT, NOT IN THE NIGHTSTAND.  I just asked Adam a question and he said, "that she found it on the kitchen window sill, it fell on the floor, she picked it up, looked at it, loved it, and brought it in to you.  But yes, that thing was dead."

OK, so now we are at the part where she brought it to me. I asked, "Can it fly?"  "I don't think so." she responds.  So I tell her that she probably misses her family and she should set her outside to play while she is at school today.

Aubrie leaves my room.  This is what Adam said happened next:

Breakfast was ready and I told her to go ahead and take it outside.  So she takes three steps towards the door and says, "Emilie needs to say goodbye to ladybug."  And then it started.  Tears.  A big ol' cry fest over saying goodbye to the ladybug and how much they'll both miss her.  


Meanwhile, I'm in my bathroom and I can hear everything.  Emilie is BAWLING and saying things like, "we shouldn't have said goodbye."  "Ladybug will miss us."  "We will never see Ladybug again forever!!" and Aubrie is sobbing and saying things like, "Daddy made me put her outside."  "She won't ever find her way back."  "This is the worst day EVER."


Kyle doesn't care about the drama.  His breakfast is good!
Adam comes into our room and looks at me and flops on the bed and says that when our daughters start PMSing, he and Kyle are going to check into a hotel or he will be traveling that week and he lays down on the bed.  



I am putting on my makeup and I am giving him a pep talk.  I remind him of the Tinkerbell movie that we have been watching lately on Netflix and told him to go tell the girls that the little girl in the movie had to let Tinkerbell go and not keep her because she had to go home to her family.  Adam is feeling confident and goes back out to the war zone and feeds the girls my Tinkerbell line.

MISTAKE.

Aubrie sobs, "I KNOW DAD!  Jennifer cries in the movie when Tinkerbell leaves and so we can cry, too!!!"  


By this time, I've made my way into the kitchen to make lunches and I grabbed my camera to capture this moment.  It was truly unbelievable.  After Aubrie ate her breakfast, she went upstairs and DREW her ladybug a picture.  This about sent Adam over the edge as he watched her walk outside and lay it down on the patio table "So that my ladybug can remember me and carry this picture around while I'm gone."


 Poor Girls.  Nothing hurts more than the loss of a ladybug.  Adam has never been more happy to leave for work.  Hope you aren't having any meltdowns this week!  

Love to all!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment