Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Baby Shower and Birthday

Today was a busy and cold day for our family.  I say cold because I think this is the coldest day we have had all winter.  The high was around 30.  On top of that, our heat stopped working last night...when it was colder than 30!  Luckily, it was just the downstairs' unit and so the girls' room were warm.  Adam and I had to bust out some extra blankets to keep warm.  Getting out of bed this morning to go shower was quite a task.  I hated leaving me warm bed.  :)

Katie and I threw a baby shower for our friends, Andrew and Ashleigh, this morning.  Ashleigh is expecting a little girl in March.  Luckily, the shower was at Katie's house so we all got out of the house right after breakfast and headed over to Sunny and Katie's warm house.  On the menu was fruit, hash brown casserole, french toast casserole, sausage cups, banana pudding muffins, punch, coffee, and orange juice.  It was a pretty good spread.  We had a nice little crowd and it was good to get together to celebrate this next stage in their lives.  I can't wait to meet their little girl!  I'm going to share a couple of things that were on the menu today and hopefully a couple tomorrow.  I've got to get Katie's muffin recipe and I've misplaced her french toast recipe.  Me?  Lose things??!  No. 

Hash brown casserole...so delicious, rivals Cracker Barrel's!
Hash brown Casserole
from Katie's mom, Kay

2 lbs. frozen hash browns, thawed a bit
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 pint sour cream
10 oz grated cheddar cheese (medium)
2 c. crushed corn flakes or cheezits (Katie used cheezits!)

Mix all except butter & cornflakes (cheezits)  Put in 9" x 13" buttered pan.  Crush cornflakes or cheezits and mix with butter.  Cover top of  casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350 uncovered.


Sausage cups.  A crowd pleaser because they are so small and pack a surprising punch with some spice!
Sausage Cups
from Miranda, a bible study pal

1 lb hot sausage
2 tsp butter
6 green onions
1 small can of mushroom stems and pieces
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 boxes of phyllo cups
4 Tbsp flour
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

In a skillet, brown the sausage and then set sausage aside.  In same skillet, melt butter and saute onions and mushrooms.  Add flour, cream, salt and pepper and stir until it bubbles and thickens.  Quickly add the sausage and take it off the heat.  Spoon into cups and then sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
Our fruit display. 


Future mom and dad

Aubrie loving on Higgs.

Katie had some fruity cheerios and the kids crowded around the plate like a trough and grazed.  Yes, maybe fought a little, too. 
Adam was super dad today.  I left the house before him and he came later with the girls.  Then he left the shower early to get Aubrie to her friend's birthday party.  Her boyfriend, Teague, from school actually turned 3 on February 4th.  So they are only a day apart.  But they didn't have his party until this weekend because they have family in town to see the boys get dedicated at church tomorrow.  So she had to get to her party and Adam took both girls and headed that way while I helped Katie clean up.  I got to Teague's party just in time to see him open gifts.  He's such a sweet boy and a good host.  The girls had an awesome time.  I, of course, walked right in and made myself a bowl of Marcie's chili and chowed down on a cupcake.  Delicious food and good company.  Today was a reminder of how blessed we are to have such good friends!

Before I go, I wanted to share my two latest projects.  I made a hat for Andrew and Ashleigh's little girl and one for Teague.  I really enjoy making these hats because I think of the sweet little heads that will be kept warm. :)




By the way, our heat is now working.

Love to all!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. All the food looks great! Makes me hungry LOL I make a hashbrown casserole kind of like that but i mix in shredded meat(chicken or beef) and top with crumbled Ritz crackers and some butter over the crackers. Trina Riggs

    ReplyDelete