Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Beautiful day, fun, and fish tacos!

It was such a beautiful day yesterday after church!  We've had some amazing weather.  I've enjoyed sitting outside and soaking up the sun.  I checked the weather this morning when I was was waking up and instead of going to the Y to do water aerobics, I decided the girls and I should take an unexpected trip to the zoo!  I confirmed a warm, sunny day with the local weather man during breakfast and then started packing up to head to the zoo.  We had a wonderful time.  Emilie rode in the stroller, but would get out every now and then to run around.  But she's really a big fan of riding in the stroller and snacking.  Aubrie had a great time running all around and exploring exhibits like a big girl.  It wasn't that busy and she did a good job of keeping an eye on me and being aware of how far away she got.  Emilie's favorite today was the meerkats, which she squeaked, "Hi Kitty!" and Aubrie's favorite was, of course, the flamingos "mingos."  I really enjoyed the girls today and I REALLY enjoyed the sunshine. 
Checking out some fish.  Emilie is the taller one, Aubrie is kneeling.



We were in need for some groceries so I waited until the girls got up from their naps and then we ran to the store to get a couple of things for this evening's dinner and the rest of the week.  I used to refuse to go to the grocery store with them.  Emilie would want held and Aubrie would wander and do what she wanted and I'd be pushing the cart with my hips.  Emilie used to love grabbing the list out of my hand and taking a bite out of it, or ripping it.  It was hectic.  But lately, I've been able to take them both and they are pretty good kids.  Aubrie walks along the basket and puts things in for me.  Emilie announces what we're putting in the basket and is consumed with watching big sis.  Sometimes Aubrie gets distracted in the cookie and cracker aisle.  And she gets mad when I don't let her put the eggs in the cart, but other than that, they're both pretty good at the grocery store. 

I decided to try some fish tacos tonight.  My ultimate favorite fish tacos are from Baja Burrito/Blue Coast Burrito.  It's a fried, breaded fish and they have the best cabbage slaw and sauce.  I also like to put some of their pineapple salsa on top.  It's delicious.  I found a recipe that I would like to try off of the Food Network and it turned out pretty good.  I highly recommend it!  I also tried a black bean and corn salad that I had found on Pinterest and it was pretty good as well!




Baja Fish Tacos and Southwestern Black Bean Salad

Baja Fish Tacos
from the Food Network
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
  • 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
  • Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges for serving (I always microwave my limes for 15 seconds)
  • 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • Kosher salt
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/4 pounds skinless halibut fillet, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 Hass avocado
  • 1/2 cup fresh salsa
Heat about 3 inches vegetable oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, toss the cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, honey and mayonnaise in a bowl. Season the slaw with salt.

Warm the tortillas in a skillet over medium-low heat or wrap in a damp cloth and microwave 25 seconds. Wrap in a towel to keep warm.

Mix the flour, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow bowl. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, then fry in batches until golden and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Season with salt.

Halve, pit and slice the avocado. Fill the tortillas with the fish, avocado, slaw and salsa. Serve with lime wedges.  Enjoy!!

Southwestern Black Bean Salad
from skinnytaste.com

15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
9 oz frozen corn, thawed
1 tomato, chopped
1 small hass avocado, diced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 lime, juice of
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp cilantro
salt and fresh pepper

Combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix with lime juice and olive oil. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes. Add avocado before serving.


It's been an interesting week this past week.  Tuesday Adam worked from home because I was sick on Monday and needed to rest, re-hydrate, and he was able to get work done since the girls were at school.  And when I say sick, I mean nauseous toilet-hugging. (We're past 12 weeks here people.  What is happening?!)  And for the past 2 weeks, Adam has had congestion, coughing, and sinus problems.  It was to the point that he was up at night every hour, blowing his nose, coughing, or doing something else to keep us both up.  So by Thursday, I had it!  I told him that he's going to go the the doctor that morning and I'm going in with him and insisting that he gets a shot in the rear.  And we did just that.  He got a shot, some meds, and then we came home and he worked from home while I did work around the house.  I've had congestion for about a week and after I laid down that afternoon, my throat was swollen shut.  Adam told me to to rush back to the doctor before he closed and get checked out because he was returning to work on Friday and I'd have to haul the girls with me.  So I went back to the doctor to find out that I have STREP!! 

Something different than what I've been battling with the past 5 weeks, which is refreshing, but not really.  Luckily, I'm pregnant. So I don't get to have a shot (sarcasm).  I get a low dosage of amoxicillin and some nasty mouth wash and get sent home.  So not only do I feel like I'm dying, but I'm highly contageous.  And by that afternoon, Adam wasn't feeling any better and we both realized that we were going to need some help.  So he called his mom, and she came down that next day and was here in time to clean my kitchen, run to the store, make some dinner, and put the girls down for bed.  I barely emerged from the bedroom that day.  And it took until Saturday afternoon for me to be able to talk normal and feel better.  Somehow, the girls didn't get sick and Adam and I are doing much better.  We're so thankful for Lana coming down to save the weekend.  It was so helpful and Adam and I got some much needed rest. 

I just hope we don't catch anything else.  I really don't think I can handle much more.  :)

Stay healthy and don't spread germs.  Love to all! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment