Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hong Kong Style Noodles

Here's the deal.  I haven't been doing too hot over here.  I felt like I've gotten over the hump, I'm no longer nauseous all the time, I'm past the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy.  But for the past two weeks, I've gotten rip roaring sick and have spent two days hugging the toilet and in bed.  It's been horrible.  What is the deal?  I think certain foods could be setting me off, but then I think that my hormone levels are still high and causing me to get sick.  It's so frustrating because I have to chase two kids around and I want to get back into doing housework, cooking, being normal.  This past time, Emilie was crawling up my back like a jungle gym while I was huddled over the toilet and Aubrie was yelling that The Wiggles were over from the other room...non-stop.  Like a broken record.  Serenity Now!!!  Hahaha, right?  I hope this is a "I'll look back at this and laugh" moment...

Today I'm feeling much better after a rough day yesterday.  My appetite was full force and I had some energy.  Adam worked a half day from home and picked the girls up from school.  I was able to do a lot of laundry, take Petey to the vet, and rest.  Most importantly, since he was home and it was a nice day, he took the girls outside during the hardest part of the day.  I was able to get dinner ready without distractions and disasters.  I mean, there were still disasters, but it was all outside and Adam's problem.  Petey kept running up to Emilie and pulling the hat off of Emilie's head.  She'd fall down and scream and Adam would chase Petey around the yard to recover the hat. 

Slam!!

Chasing Dad.
 I have been wanting to make a noodle dish lately, so I found a recipe by Guy Fieri called Hong Kong Style Noodles and I decided to try it.  I wanted to try it Sunday, but my Valentine took me out for a delicious dinner instead, and then I was sick Monday.  So tonight was the night.  Perfect because Adam was home to help.  Surprisingly, the girls both loved it.  They love noodles, but I wasn't sure about all the seasoning and vegetables that were in here, but they both did really good and enjoyed it.  We loved it, too.  It's definitely getting written down on a recipe card for a permanent spot in the recipe box.  Once again, Guy, you did a good one!  I hope you give it a try.  If you are cooking for two, maybe cut the recipe in half unless you love leftovers.  (Granny, I could have used that wok you were offerring this summer!) I also used a medium wide egg noodle because the girls like big noodles.  I also omitted the celery (don't like), mushrooms (makes me sick), and just added extra snow peas and bell peppers to make up for it.  I hope you like it!  Love to all!


Hong Kong Style Noodles
from Food Network's Guy Fieri
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce, divided
  • 2 tablespoons minced ginger
  • 1 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
  • 2 cups chicken breast, cut 1/4-inch slices, skinless
  • 16 ounces chow mein noodles
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup 1/8-inch julienne white onion
  • 1/2 cup 1/4-inch strips red bell pepper
  • 1 cup 1/4-inch sticks cut carrot
  • 1 cup 1/2-inch bias cut celery
  • 1/2 cup 1/2-inch strips shiitake mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup 1/2-inch strips snow peas
  • 1 cup mung bean sprouts
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup strips green onions

Directions

In a re-sealable plastic bag add, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chili garlic paste, 2 tablespoons cornstarch and mix thoroughly, then add chicken and marinate for 1 hour.


In a medium stock pot boil water and cook chow mein noodles until al dente, remove and shock in ice bath, shake dry and toss with 2 tablespoons oil to keep from sticking.


In a large saute pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons oil to almost smoke point and add chicken, separating each peace upon entry. Cook until browned on all sides. Remove and hold warm.


In same wok, add 2 tablespoons oil. Heat until almost the smoke point, then add the onions, bell peppers, carrots and celery., Saute for 2 minutes then add mushrooms, peas and bean sprouts. Cook for 1 minute, then add chicken saute for 1 minute, add hoisin, 3 tablespoons soy sauce and sesame oil, toss and remove.


Heat a 12-inch nonstick saute pan, add 3 tablespoons oil, heat to almost smoke point, and add chilled chow mein noodles. Cook on one side until crispy light golden brown. Flip noodles and another 2 tablespoons of oil and cook other side. When done, remove and let drain on paper towels, while holding warm.


Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch and chicken stock, and deglaze hot wok with mixture and let reduce by one-third.


Place noodles on a rimmed serving platter, top with chicken and vegetable saute, and pour chicken reduction over top. Garnish with green onions.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment