Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

It's a boy!!!


We arrived at the hospital at 5 am this morning to check in and prep for our cesarean.  Everything went well and I will pretty nervous about going through the surgery again and they rolled me back at 7 am to begin.  At 7:24, we found out that we had a baby boy!  Not only that, he was a big boy!!  He is 9 lbs, 6 ozs and measures 21 1/2 inches long!  (At first they measured him at 19 inches long, but they did his measurements again and changed it.)  He's a big boy!
Kyle William Mark
They noticed right away that he had grunting and it sounded like he had fluid in his lungs, so they wanted to take him away to the nursery to monitor him.  They assured us it was common in big babies that are born cesarean because they don't go through the birthing canal, which helps push the fluid out.  So Adam left with Kyle while they finished putting Humpty Dumpty (me) back together again. 

 Adam got this shot in the hallway on the way to the nursery.  It was the first time he opened his eyes.  It turned out they took him to the transition room which is part of the NICU.  They took his vitals every 30 minutes and performed glucose tests.  He didn't do well on his first glucose tests, but his numbers went way up on every test after that. 
 There he laid in a warmer and did a lot of grunting.  They eventually flipped him over on his belly and that was supposed to help him get all the fluid out.  Meanwhile, mom would stay with me in the recovery room while Adam went back and forth between me and the baby.  It turns out they had a busy night the night before.  They had 21 cesareans!  There were no rooms available to transfer me to, so I stayed in the recovery room until 1:30 while we waited on 27 moms who were supposed to discharge today!
Look at those big feet!
 Kyle ended up having to stay in the transition room for almost 14 hours.  That means that neither Adam nor I got to hold him and no grandparent or sister got to see him for that long.  My only contact with him was when they laid him on my chest right when he was born.  I was miserable.  Your new treasure is the only thing that helps you recover from a c-section.  But it was like I didn't get my prize and I was stuck recovering without him and it was horrible.  The girls were supposed to come to the hospital and have a birthday party.  They still came to eat dinner here in the room, but didn't get to meet Kyle, they just saw pictures of him.  Adam's parents and sisters brought them here and didn't get to see him, neither.  After they had left, we found out that Kyle was doing better and he was possibly coming back to our room.  Two hours later, the nurse wheeled him into our room and we got to hold him for the first time!
 My new baby boy and I.  I was so thrilled!
 Daddy and Kyle

Tomorrow morning, the Adam's parents and sisters get to come to the hospital and meet Kyle and hold him and I cannot wait!

As for the girls?  They are still excited.  They made cupcakes last night for the new baby's birthday party and they will bring the cupcakes tomorrow so we can have a birthday party. 

Emilie was a really good taster

Aubrie was an expert sprinkler.

Thank you to everyone who sent us well wishes today!  We needed every one's encouraging words and prayers to help get us through this day.  We thank the Lord for a healthy baby boy and that we are now able to hold him in our arms and enjoy this new gift. 

Love to all! Pin It Now!

1 comment: