Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pocket Pies

It's been a while since I've cooked, much less baked.  You know how it is when you are getting ready to go out of town.  You eat and drink everything in the fridge and try not to waste any food.  I probably did that for a week.  It was good to go stock up on food at the grocery store.  I went twice already.  Once last night when we first got home to get the staples...milk, bread, orange juice, yogurt.  Then we went today and got the REAL groceries.  We are cooking three new recipes this week.  I am also trying something new that I saw in Better Homes and Gardens called Pocket Pies.  They do theirs with apples, raspberries, and blueberries.  I'm doing mine with just apples. 
All I did was cut the crust off a loaf of whole wheat bread and pealed 4 apples.  I sliced the apples and put them on the stove on medium high with 2 Tbsp of butter and sprinkled them with cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg.  I cooked them until they were a little soft, but still crunchy.  Then I spooned some of the mix on top of a slice, covered it with another slice, and sealed it with a fork, pressing the edges.  Then I took some vegetable oil and brushed it on both sides and sprinkled the tops with cinnamon and sugar.  I'm cooking them until they are a little toasty. 

Maybe they'll be ready by the time I finish blogging.  Adam hopes they are ready soon.  He's ready for fall.  He got me a magazine that has a bunch of apples recipes in it.  We hope to plant two new apple trees at our new house.  We loved having apples this time of year. 

Adam told me to send a special shout out tonight to Hiller Heating and Plumbing.  We had a couple of things we had to fix on our house and two of them dealt with things Hiller has installed or fixed.  We had them come back and make some improvements and they did it free of charge.  Good job Hiller!  Way to help us out. 

Aubrie and Emilie had a good day today.  They loved dragging out all their toys as if they were brand new.  Aubrie chased Petey around all day.  She had a hold of his tail and followed him all over the house.  They both enjoyed swinging and playing outside.  Mom did, too.  :)

Love to all!

ps.  The pocket pies came out.  They were pretty good.  Perhaps missing something...we will see. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment