Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My dog ate my homework.

Aubrie will legitimately get to use that excuse at the age of 2.  We came home from dinner and he shredded her black and white collage and did some serious damage to her school folder.  Horrible dog.  Horrible. 

We went out to eat (of course) and then ran to Target for a couple of things.  We HAD to look at some of the Halloween stuff.  Aubrie loved it.  She found these hats and made me wear one.  Then she sat down and wanted her picture taken.


She looks like a miner.  She said the hat was just like Gram's.  Mom, do you have a sparkly cowgirl hat I don't know about?

We are packing still.  Controlled packing, not frantic.  Thursday is my REAL day off where both girls are at school and I don't have another commitment, so I'm hoping that after a couple of errands, I can really make a dent in the kitchen, laundry room, and our room. 

I thought I would share a few memories in this house about home improvement.  Kids, pay attention.  Make sure when you buy your first home, you don't buy a fixer upper if you have never fixed up anything and if you married an accountant.  My love can do some serious number crunching and taxes, but please don't have him do crown moulding.

Projects gone wrong:
(I'm laughing hysterically just thinking of some)

Adam tried to open the nursery window when I was pregnant with Aubrie a couple of months before she was due and he ended up big-boying it and bending the frame and broke the window.  We ended up replacing all our windows.

Removing wallpaper.  Sticky, time consuming, painful.

Installing the dishwasher.  It took Steve Drabyn, Nick Otis, and Adam (that's 3 bachelor degrees, 3 master degrees, and a law degree) about 4 hours to hook it up.  Way too long.

Installing the refrigerator that broke 2 days after I brought Aubrie home from the hospital.  Dad and Adam put a couple of nicks in the floor doing that one. 

Installing a dryer after ours broke and finding out it was venting to the crawlspace this whole time and causing moisture to build up 2 days after I brought Emilie home from the hospital.

Painting and hanging shutters.  Thanks Dad.

Hanging a new ceiling fan in dining room.  Thanks Andrew.

Bath tub drain leaking and putting a hole in the drywall above washer and dryer.  Thanks Andrew.

Re-seal the aggregate driveway.  THAT was some hard work.  And it was hot.  Never again.

Adam sawing a hole in the garage ceiling to put up an attic door and realizing he had it in the wrong place and then sawing another hole in the ceiling.

My mom was here visiting and half my outlets stopped working and we called the electrician to come out and all he did was push the reset button on an outlet on the other side of the room.  That was an expensive button push.

And THEN, there is my favorite.  We wanted to get rid of the box light in the kitchen and put up track lighting.  We had popcorn ceilings so Adam said he'd scrape and sand the ceiling.  I agreed.  I had class that evening and left him in charge of the job.  He said Andrew was coming over to help.  I got home and the entire house (ENTIRE HOUSE) was covered with white powder.  Not only did they sand the kitchen ceiling, they did the eat in kitchen ceiling too!  AND the clothes that they had taped to the doorways to keep dust from getting in the rest of the house didn't stay taped up, but they continued to work anyways.  I can honestly say that THAT was the one time I truly flipped out.  FLIPPED OUT!  I couldn't believe the mess they made and the dust that traveled into every single room.  I went upstairs and locked myself in the guest bedroom and after Andrew left, Adam and I discussed the happenings through the door.  I only locked myself in the room to cool off, not for his safety.  (yeah right.)

I can laugh about it now.

But then there are the projects that DID go well and made our house a home:

A flower bed in the backyard around our tree that Aubrie and I love.

A swing in the backyard.

And all the projects that we paid OTHER people to do.  :)

Adam and I are cracking up.  I am crying because it is so funny.  We can't name ANY projects that he and I did that went smoothly or didn't require us to call a professional after we spent an entire weekend trying to do it ourselves and making matters worse. 

Ohhhh, I love this house for the memories.  But that is about it.  We made it a home.  Now we have a new one.  New on several levels.  It's newer.  It's in WAY better shape, and it has all the bells and whistles that I have been wishing for several years.  We're so blessed and lucky to be moving.  Thank you to all our friends and family who helped us make this old house a home and we can't wait to make new memories in our new house. 

Love to all!! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment